Saturday, March 30, 2013

Doggie "Cape"

To continue our little section on items for our lovable pooches, here's something that I think those of you who are fun and imaginative will really enjoy! Now, if you're someone who's boring and smart (not all smart people are boring... just the ones that are smartish-boringish) you can go to petco.com and order yourself one that is super fancy and durable that only costs $39.95.
What's the use of a cape made by hand that, in total, probably costs more than the Petco version? The LOVE. That's it. (Sorry if I'm rambling). That super durable and long-lasting cape from the superstore might have more interesting designs than the one that you are about to make, but really, where is the love, the love, the love?

Well here's a cape that will keep your loved one nice and toasty on a warm winter day down south (my people!), or nice and warm on a nice 50ยบ summer day if your from up north. And if you're in the middle, I have nothin' for you 'cause I have no idea what it's like in Oklahoma, Nebraska, or Kentucky. But I still love y'all all the same <3

So here's what you're gonna need:

Yarn. And lots of it. I'm super sorry to say that I don't know how much, but be on the safe side and get as much as you think you will need. I started with maybe half a skien and had to go all the way to Michael's to get more.

Ribbon*  Not a lot, if your pup is nice and exercised. Maybe more if you have a Great Dane, though.


* You might not need this


Because I am not the best at making patterns, I used the most unimaginative one I could think of:

Crochet as many little crochetlets as you need, choose the length!

Then crochet an extra three and double crochet the entire length of your cape.

Crochet 2. Half Double Crochet the entire length of your cape. 

Crochet 1. Single Crochet the entire length of your cape. 

Repeat. 


Keep on doing what's in the pretty purple until you think that that is long enough. Eliza (my pooch) isn't the most... how to put it? Civilized? When I simply walk her 'round the block she takes every two seconds to relieve her little self. So I made sure that my cape wasn't going to be TOO long and get in the way of... territory marking.

Anyway... Measure around your dog's waist... ALL the way around, people. Make two pieces of ribbon that length (the ribbon will go around the doggie's waist and then tie on top of their back).

The waist is right underneath the a in underneath

Then, measure around the neck of your dog. I'm pretty sure you can choose where to tie it, too. Make two ribbons of that size, too.

Afterwards, tie the ribbons to the cape, in corresponding places. Put the cape on your dog and tie the ribbons to the places of the cape where you measured the ribbons. Tie and DONE!


Also, if you make your cape big and long enough, you might just be able to use it as a blanket for your loving pup!




I made my cape with a yarn that was two colors: white and brown. Sorry the photo is so horrible ~ I took it with my phone because my camera is just being mean and won't work with my computer...

No comments:

Post a Comment