Saturday, May 23, 2015

Book Review 1

I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson:
3/5 stars.

Documenting the lives of twins Jude and Noah, I'll Give You the Sun has some pretty decent plot twists and turns, but it is by no means a roller coaster. Nelson's personification and voice is great, truthfully describing the thoughts of teenagers.
Reading it, I have to admit that I got sucked in and couldn't put the book down... but afterwards I realized that the plot was fairly basic and the ending became obvious around 1/3 of the way in, and in a way, that let me down. The story telling was great and the writing was phenomenal, but the story itself could have been better.
In short, Nelson wrote the story as well as is humanly possible, but that just wasn't enough to offset the typical plot.
Warning -- this book is for mature audiences.


No comments:

Post a Comment